Thursday, January 21, 2010

Slant Narrative of Beauty and the Beast

I am always filled with such joy to think of how I was freed from my bondage. My aunt had always loved to play with magic when she was a little girl, or so my mother told me. When she grew up, she still held a fascination for it and it turned out to be my down fall. Once I was a cute little prince, son of the royal King and Queen. One day my mother's sister was in a terrible mood and I happened to be the first one she crossed. Maybe she didn't like me because I was the only heir to the thrown, and if I had been out of the way, her son would have been next in line for the crown. Whatever reason she had, if she even had one, she cast a spell on me, turning me into a horrific beast. My future looked grim.


My parents were horrified when they found out. My aunt said it was not permanent, but the only thing that would cause me to return to my normal state as a human, would be for a young lady to accept me as I was. I felt sure that no one would ever love a beast as ugly as me. Still outraged by her rash action, my parents threw our relative out of the kingdom. I lived in the palace until I was capable of living on my own. At that point, I wanted to be alone, sort things out, and try to figure out what the rest of my life would hold. My parents, the rightful owners of a vast wealth, bestowed on me a gigantic estate. It was truly beautiful and I was satisfied--for a while.


I had been lonely for quite some time and had become desperate to find someone to free me; but more than that, to love me. One day, though I did not know it at the time, the key to my freedom arrived: an old man, obviously poor and out of sorts. Finding no one inside he began to wander around my palace. I almost kicked him out for intruding, but he was so fascinated by everything and looked so tired and unhappy, I had pity on him and, to his astonishment, provided him with several meals. The next morning, as I wondered in my garden, still holding a grudge against my aunt, my guest came out to my garden and picked a rose. "How dare he?" I thought. After all I had done for him, he had the audacity to steal from my garden!


I approached him, nearly forgetting how ugly I was. He was taken aback at being spoken to by a beast. He tried to explain how he had been lost the previous night on his way home from a journey which he thought would have been a success, but had turned out a failure. Intrigued by this statement, I questioned him and found that he had once been a royal, wealthy person living happily with his six sons and six daughters. "Daughters??? Could it be? No. Surely not." I tried to remind myself there would never be a girl for me. My mind turned back to the story at hand. He had lost everything by a series of terrible misfortunes. At one point he had several trade ships, all of which he had thought to have been lost, burned, or stolen; but just recently he had been informed that one of them had docked safely and was loaded with cargo. My guest had left his home only after being pestered by his daughters who longed for the pleasures they had once been accustom too; for dresses, jewels, and luxuries of every kind--all but the youngest. I could tell he had a soft spot in his heart for her. This daughter had asked only for a rose. When he arrived, the cargo had been divided by his former companions who thought him to be dead. The journey had proved worthless. The merchant, began his return home empty handed, when he was caught in a terrible storm. He spent the night in the cold and the next morning renewed his journey upon which he found my castle.


What a story! I wanted to be angry with this man. I wanted to be angry with everyone and everything in the world. Yet how could I? He was obviously not trying to take advantage of me. He was merely trying to bring happiness to his daughter. Could I be so cruel as to deny him this one happiness? I could tell he was being honest with me so I let him off the hook; only on one condition. While he had been telling me his story, my mind kept drifting back to the six daughters. I had to take a chance. I made up my mind. He could go home as long as he brought back one of his daughters. She had to come willingly though, and he had to tell her the truth about me. I didn't want just any girl, I wanted a girl of character, this had made my chances even slimmer, but I had to try. The merchant was agreeable to this and to make sure he didn't fail me, I promised that if he didn't return with one of them in a month, I would find him and it would get ugly after that.


My guest gave me his word and returned home. I wondered if he would really keep his promise, and had begun to give up hope when one day, upon the horse I had given him, my merchant friend returned. In front of him sat a young lady. I knew from his description of his youngest daughter, Beauty, that this was she. Now that she was here, the rest of my life was up to her.


I did not show myself immediately, lest I scare her off too soon. The father and daughter enjoyed their dinner in the solitude of their room, as the merchant had done on his previous visit. As soon as they had finished, I could wait no longer. I walked into the room. I could tell the man was deeply sorrowed at the thought of leaving Beauty in the hands of a beast like me. I could tell the young lady was terrified, but she did such a good job of disguising her fear. She was bold and responded with confidence. I stayed and talked to them for a while and I learned that she really had come of her own choice and was willing to stay even after she had seen just how horrific I really was! "She was willing to stay!" I was thrilled for that much at least.


Her father returned to his home the next day with trunks filled with all the gold, jewels, rich fabrics, costly gowns, and treasures they could fit in them. After he was gone, I let Beauty do as she wished, roaming the palace and gardens to her hearts delight. I truly did want her to be happy; maybe somehow she would learn to like me -- maybe even love me. Each night after her supper, I went to the suite in which Beauty lived and talked to her for one hour. After that time I always asked her if she would marry me. Every time I was rejected; I had to keep trying.


One day, I found Beauty nearly at the point of tears. I was distraught. I asked her the cause of her sorrow and found she wanted to return to her father and siblings. She said she would come back after two months. She had told me she had grown very fond of living here and would be very sorry not to come back. I knew if she left for any longer that two months that it would kill me. I had grown so used to her being here. I truly did love her and would do anything for her. I granted her this wish as long as she would come back. She promised she would. I gave her a couple trunks in which to take back everything she could fit in them.


The two months dragged on for ever and I truly thought she had forgotten me. As the last week began to draw to a close I became terribly sick and lethargic. I was not myself. She had promised. I was holding on to that. Surely she would not have lied to me. On the second to last day, I lay out in my garden, drifting ever closer to death's door, when my "savior" came. Her voice was distant at first almost as a dream, mocking me. But the voice drew nearer and more distinct. She had really come. I gathered all the strength that was left in me and opened my eyes. There she was! She had come back just as she said she would! My Beauty was there beside me, stroking my fur which had gown tangled from lack of care the last few days. She was here! That's all that mattered now.


I had nearly resigned myself to never marrying her, but as long as I could see her and talk to her every night, I could be happy enough. I had to be content with that. A few days went by. Each night I talked to her after dinner. Each night I asked if she would marry me. Each night I was rejected. But one night, my whole life was transformed. As I got up from the chair and said my "good-night" I asked the question again; this time I was astonished by the answer I had longed to hear, but never thought could cross her lips. Yes. "She said yes!" The moment she spoke the word, the spell, cast so many years ago, was broken. Light shattered the room and there stood the prince who had been lost under the disguise of a beat. I had been set free by one word, but more than that, she loved me! We were to marry! I was filled with more joy than ever could be expressed. My mother traveled from my parents castle to congratulate us, and the whole kingdom celebrated with us the next day at our wedding. My Beauty and her Beast have lived very happily thus far and will continue to do so until "death do us part."


2 comments: