Thursday, September 24, 2009

a fable for a 4-year-olds

This week's writing assignment was to rewrite the story of Little Red Riding Hood and to write it using vocabulary that 4-year-olds could understand and short enough that their attention could be captivated for that period of time.


Little Red Riding Hood's perspective

Mother, warning me not to talk to strangers and not to leave the path, handed me a basket of bread and a bottle of wine and sent me over to Grandmother, who wasn't feeling well. I was wearing my red cape and the day was bright and beautiful as I strolled down the road. The path soon lead into the woods. I had not taken three steps before a delightful-looking wolf stopped me. He was so kind and polite, I was sure that Mother would wish me to be as nice back. Mr. Wolf asked me all sorts of questions about where I lived and where I was going, what was in my basket and who was it for? Answering his questions I proceeded on my way but he stopped me again. This time he suggested that I pick a handful of purple, yellow, pink, and white flowers to take to my grandma. I did gather a bouquet and was soon skipping over to Grandmother's house. Cheerfully greeting Grandmother, I stepped into the sunny room and went over to the bed. She looked awfully hairy with big ears and a long nose. I bent a little closer to see her more clearly and right then realized that it was Mr. Wolf dressed up as my grandma! He ate me up so fast I had no time to think, but thanks to a kindly hunter who rescued me, I am alive--and now, after learning the hard way, I do not leave the path or talk to strangers anymore.


The Wolf's perspective

I was wandering about the woods on lovely afternoon and came across a little girl dressed in a red riding hood and carrying a basket of homemade bread and a bottle of wine. She told me all about her sick relation and then wondered off to pick a bouquet of flowers for her dear old grammy. So I decided to pay the lady a visit. When I opened the door I saw her, but my stomach heard her saying how good she would be to eat--just the perfect size. I couldn't believe it, so I went closer and listened harder. All in a moment she was in my belly. Oh no! Little Red Riding Hood was on her way here and now she had no grandma to eat the delicious goodies she was bringing. Quickly I pulled the night cap as far over my ears and nose as I could and slid under the covers, hoping she would not notice that I was not Grandmother. And none too soon! She knocked, came in, and stood by the bed. My stomach was growling again; the temptation was too great. I ate the little girl in one bite, along with the bread and wine. Sleep overcame me and I curled up on the floor. While I was asleep a hunter passed by and noticed that the door stood open and came in. Guessing what happened, he cut me open and there he found the little old lady and her granddaughter still alive. He stitched me up and when I woke up I scampered into the woods and never again tried to eat a human.

1 comment:

  1. Great re-tellings, Caity! I like how simple your summaries are without being dumbed down!

    ReplyDelete