Wednesday, September 16, 2009

slant narratives

(a slant narrative is a story told from a first person point of view, stating the facts and appealing to the emotions of the hearers/readers)
Hare:
One afternoon, Tortoise came up to me and basically dared me to prove that I could beat anyone that I chose to race. Of course I jumped on the opportunity, and asked politely if the turtle would race with me. We were both lined up at the starting point and I began to realize that it might look like I was taking an unfair advantage of Tortoise. I determined to do something about that. I was out of sight of Tortoise at the first bend. The race was almost over and Tortoise was probably just getting into the groove of the race. I decided to lay down and rest a bit to give him some time to catch up, knowing that if he happened to come by before I was up, I would surely hear him, at which time I could amble past and finish. I woke up and saw the scuffled prints of the turtle; I was too late. He took advantage of me during my slumber and unfairly won the race.

Tortoise:
Hare was accustomed to bragging about himself and the speed at which he could run. All of us smaller animals were sick and tired of the perpetual harassment from this rabbit. One day, completely fed up with the same ol' swaggering talk I walked up to Hare and told him that he was indeed swift, but that he shouldn't be too sure that no one could be him. This made him fluster and rage, and, on the spot, he challenged me to a race. Of course I knew that he was faster, but not knowing what he would do to me if I refused, accepted. The gunshot cracked and the race was started. He left me in the dust, but I, slowly plodding on in the hot summer heat, came upon him in the middle of the afternoon sleeping under a tree. I, however, trudged on...one step more and I would break the tape on the finish line. I glanced back, hearing the commotion of a tempest; it was Hare trying to make a dash to win the race. I stepped forward, broke the tape, and incurred the wrath of my opponent.

2 comments:

  1. Fun way to look at things. I'd never thought to try that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat! :) My favorite perspective is Hare's. His silly bravado is quite amusing.

    I like the end phrase of Tortoise's description of the race, when he states that when he won the race he "incurred the wrath" of his opponent.

    Persevero,
    Scribe

    ReplyDelete