Wednesday, September 30, 2009

a legend for 1st-3rd graders


King Croesus sent a message requesting that I come to see him as soon as possible. I knew that I had to go and, so as not to displease my king, I postponed all the activities that I had scheduled for the afternoon and set off for the palace. I arrived at the regal buildings and was immediately overwhelmed. I had never before been to visit the king so I had no idea where to go to meet with King Croesus and his lords. After asking several questions I made my way to what I learned was the royal court. When I walked into the room, I made several embarrassing mistakes. First I felt like (and so I'm sure I looked like) an ant getting ready to be stepped on by a huge foot. Also, I didn't know who the king was, so I introduced my self several times to different nobles, only one of whom pointed me in the right direction. I heard the snickers circling the room--I swallowed hard and approached the person who, by this time, I felt sure was the King. Thankfully I was right.

Croesus, proud as his reputation made him out to be, spoke to me about himself. After a while he asked me to assure him that he was a very happy man, maybe even the happiest. I could not lie--my mother had taught me that when I was just a young kid--so I tried to tell him of other stories of people that I knew who I considered to be cheerful and content. In each case the people led a life satisfactory life of toil and selflessness. The king did not particularly enjoy my telling him the stories. I hoped that he would be able to see how the people did not have the wealth that Croesus had, but they still lead a happy life. A life much more pleasant than his. I was immediately dismissed and I have not seen King Croesus since.

1 comment:

  1. Caity,
    Thank you for the summary! I'm going to have Whistler and Reaches Up read it, knowing it will be a great for discussing several things. But, of course, they'll simply enjoy the story, too! :) What varied and interesting writing assignments you and Marissa are experiencing! The class sounds wonderful, and I can tell you are learning much from it. Keep up the great work!
    Love you both.

    ReplyDelete