Wednesday, October 21, 2009

words worth saying?

As I was reading some of my homework for this week, I found some really great thoughts about the art of speaking and how a person should govern his/her speech.

"Propriety does not just deal with avoiding 'bad words' in our writing, it really just has to do with using words, words that fit the occasion. For the most part that means you should avoid swear words, but just as important, you should avoid words that are too lofty for the occasion, as well as words that do not come natural to you as a writer." -Lene Mahler Jaqua, based on Quintillion

"Those then who go to excess in ridicule are thought to be buffoons and vulgar fellows who itch to have their joke at all costs, and are more concerned to raise a laugh than to keep within the bounds of decorum...those on the other who never by any chance say anything funny themselves and take offense at those who do, are considered boorish and morose...most men are only too fond of fun and raillery, even buffoons are called witty and pass for clever fellows...the cultivated gentlemen will therefore regulate his wit, and will be as it were a law to himself. Such then is the middle character, whether he be called 'tactful' or 'witty.' " -Aristotle

1 comment:

  1. Caity, thank you for sharing this. I just read an article in World Magazine about taming the tongue. This is so important. I think I will undertake a study on the tongue and appropriate speech in various situations. This is something I've been giving a lot of thought to of late and want to really dive in and immerse myself in what scripture says about it. I do appreciate you bringing in some views from the ancients as well. Keep posting, I so enjoy your blog. Hugs@

    ReplyDelete